Today I am launching a Count Down to Earth Day.
Earth Day started in 1970 as a way to increase awareness about environmental issues- today perhaps the biggest threat to our environment is the lack of children playing outside.
Here are 10 ways to celebrate Earth Day with the children of the World.
1) Lay on the ground, look up at the sky and count the clouds, notice the shapes in the clouds can you find an animal shape? Tell a story about it.
2) Set out bird food- make three holes in a pie tin and hang it from a tree, fill with bird food. How many different varieties of birds come to visit?
3) Collect leaves and make collage. You can use paper or just lay your leaves on the ground and investigate how they look, feel, and smell. How many different shapes can you find?
4) Plant grass seed (Easter Grass). Here’s how to.
5) Read about the History of Earth Day. The first Earth Day was held in 1970 and lead to creation of the Environmental Protection Agency and formation of National Parks. Celebrate in a Park!
6) Press flowers- pick flowers (and always leave plenty behind) place between two sturdy pieces of cardboard and weigh down the rocks or bricks. When the flowers dry, use them on cards.
7) Clean up the garbage at a local park or playground. Make it extra fun by bringing friends.
8) Visit a farmers market and purchase locally grown vegetables for an Earth Day dinner.
9) Make grape vine wreaths by weaving the vines, then decorate with nature items for an Earth Day crown.
10) Purchase foods in bulk to eliminate (or reduce at least) waist associated with packaging.
As part of my count down to Earth Day I am going to feature one nature-filled blog a day.
Today’s Featured Blog: let the children play check it out and be inspired!
Check back tomorrow for more fun activities!
Now head outside and play!
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.